In November I was sitting comfortably on 61,814 words, and found myself somewhat stumped in my progress. By the end of December I had 67,575 words, and was thoroughly disappointed; I'd been aiming for 100,000 words, which was admittedly a hefty goal, but when I set it I had been making good progress.
Once that goal was set, though, I panicked, and my writing suffered.
Since the New Year, as I mentioned in my "The Struggle" post, I have been handwriting Doomprince before copying it up and editing where required. As of this moment, at 8:50pm on Friday the 3rd of February, I have just passed 78,000 words. That's over 10,000 words in little more than a month!
As well as reaching something of a milestone in word count, I have also reached a milestone in terms of plot.
Naturally, to give away this piece of plot would serve only to ruin the story for future readers, but the significance of it is that when I wrote my "first rewrite" I got so far and found myself stuck, unable to progress in any way, which was what prompted the current rewrite in the first place. As I reached 78,000 words I realised that not only had I reached this part of the plot, but I had roared past it, progressing yet further into the story.
This is a proud moment for me, and it seemed important to share it with you.